River Wharfe bridge in Boston Spa
The single track bridge over the River Wharfe was built using local limestone 1768-72. It was funded by subsription from wealthy local landowners. One of the main reasons for its construction stated in the correspondence was to allow members of the local hunt to cross the river Wharfe without inconvenience (or risk). The bridge carries a minor road linking Boston Spa with the neighbouring village of Thorp Arch. The photograph is taken from the ford which was used to cross the river before the bridge was built.